Statement: GSK supports GOLD committee’s efforts to further personalise COPD management
20 November 2018
GSK welcomes the updated Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) Strategy which aims to better personalise chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) management and recognises the need for a range of treatment options to meet individual patient needs.
GSK studies such as the landmark InforMing the PAthway of COPD Treatment (IMPACT) have contributed to the evidence base GOLD has considered in support of the main treatment classes.
“We strongly believe in a personalised approach to COPD management to help ensure the right treatment for the right patient and have generated a wealth of data to support this,” said Professor Neil Barnes, Global Franchise Medical Head, GSK Respiratory. “We’re pleased to see GOLD recognise this with an approach based on individual treatable traits and look forward to working with doctors to help translate this into routine clinical practice. We remain committed to generating evidence that supports key therapies such as dual bronchodilators and triple therapy to enable use by appropriate patients.”
The GOLD Strategy provides an evidence-based approach to improve COPD diagnosis, management and prevention. GSK’s 10,355-patient IMPACT trial is the first study to directly compare three commonly-used COPD combination treatment classes all delivered once daily and in the same inhaler type. It is also the largest trial to date to provide prospective evidence on the use of blood eosinophil count (BEC) as a marker in informing COPD treatment decisions.
The landmark IMPACT study involved 41 hospitals and medical institutions and 535 COPD patients in China. Dr. James He, VP, Head of R&D and Medical at GSK China, said, “The results of the IMPACT study have provided clear evidence. In the Chinese COPD patients with a history of exacerbation, triple therapy was superior to other two different classes of dual combination therapy which provides valuable information for the application of new therapies for Chinese patients."
Recognising the evidence from IMPACT, along with other clinical studies, GOLD recommends bronchodilation as foundation therapy for symptomatic patients and triple therapy for patients who continue to struggle despite maintenance therapy. GOLD also now includes updated information on key clinical characteristics, like BEC, exacerbation severity and frequency, level of symptoms and other clinical characteristics, that physicians should consider when determining the most appropriate class of therapy for individual patients.
With the broadest range of once-daily treatments using a single inhaler platform, GSK is well positioned to meet the individual needs of COPD patients as outlined by GOLD and is committed to contributing further evidence in the future to deliver a more personalised and simplified approach to treatment across disease severity and patients’ needs.
GSK in China with China for China
GSK is committed to supporting the healthcare reform of the Chinese government and to ensuring that Chinese patients can access our innovative treatments targeting their specific needs. As part of our strategy to be "in China, with China, for China", we have achieved the following milestones in recent years:
- GSK and the British Council extend the UK-China Health and Economy Partnership in Nov 2018.
- Announced dual bronchodilators Anoro launched in China Providing long-term, once-daily medication for COPD in Aug 2018.
- Announced Dolutegravir recommended by WHO as the preferred first-line AIDS treatment in latest guidelines in Aug 2018.
- Announced to aid China government’s hepatitis prevention and treatment programme in Jul 2018.
- Cervarix is approved for cervical cancer prevention in female population aged 9-45 years in May 2018.
- Announced Flixotide Nebules launched in mainland China for acute exacerbations of childhood asthma in May 2018.
- The Chinese Association of STD and AIDS Prevention and Control and GSK China sign MOU for AIDS prevention and control through online physician education in May 2018.
- GSK China partners with JD to drive “Internet + Healthcare” to improve patient experience and access to healthcare in May 2018.
- Anoro Ellipta, a new once-daily dual bronchodilators treatment for COPD, was approved in March 2018.
- Announced innovative antiretroviral Single Tablet Regimen Triumeq was officially launched in January 2018.
GSK – a science-led global healthcare company with a special purpose: to help people do more, feel better, live longer. For further information please visit www.gsk.com.
Chloe Yao firstname.lastname@example.org (China)